The mission of the EKS Music School is, through quality education, to help students of all ages acquire knowledge, confidence and the ability to appreciate arts and music in a nourished environment by pursuing their own personal development and enriching the quality of their lives.
Scholarship History and Information
Since 2014, we have offered numerous scholarships to woodwinds, guitar and piano students in taking ensemble lessons and workshops at and outside EKS Music School. This year, we are pleased to offer a various amounts of 50 to100% tuition coverage (decision made by the Scholarship EKS Committee) to selected EKS students who participate in a 8-week ensemble program at EKS Music School. Ensemble groups (2-3 students per group) and instructors will be formed and assigned by the Scholarship Committee.
January 20, 2020 (Monday)
Please click the following button to download the application form.
Candidates will be chosen based on his/her COMPLETE Application (FIRST ROUND) and a live audition (SECOND ROUND). Complete application must be submitted by January 20, 2020. The live audition will take place on January 24, 2020 Friday.
1. Open to any instrument, preferably studied at EKS Music School. However, student who is taking instrument at other schools and studio can also apply.
2. Open to students 5 years old or above.
3. RCM Level 1 or higher (also eligible to students who are taking level 1 in May/June 2019), or a minimum of 2 years of private lessons experience.
4. Applicant must be available to attend scheduled lessons (TBD depending on faculty availability) and perform at the annual concerts the weekend of June 6-7, 2020.
5. Previous scholarship recipients can also apply.
6. Application Fee $20
First Round: Application form and prescreening recordings (video)
Please fill out the complete application form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail it to EKS Music School. The address is 121B Standish Avenue, Quincy MA 02170.
Applicant is required to video record ONE solo piece no shorter than 1 minute (Repeat is allowed) and no longer than 10 minutes. Please see the following Video Recording Instruction for details. Please DO NOT email us the recording. You can upload the recording to YouTube or to Google Drive, and email the link to email@example.com. (Please put applicant's name on the Subject line. For example: Video Link for John Smith.)
We will only screen and process application with both completed form and prescreening recording. No exception is allowed.
Video Recording Instruction
(1) Say and indicate your full name.
(2) Say the name of the piece you are going to play including composer’s name and title of the piece.
(3) ORIGINAL RECORDING. Edited video is not allowed. Please retain the original footage of the video, do not cut, stop, filter or enhance the video in any ways. Edited video will be disqualified at once.
Second Round: Live audition and interview
Applicants who successfully passed the first round will be invited to a live audition at EKS Music School on Jan 24, 2020 between 5:30-8:30p.m. Audition notification will be send between Jan 21-22, 2020. The purpose of the live audition is to evaluate the students’ performance, potential and enthusiasm.
(1) Applicant must choose two scales/arpeggios for the live audition, e.g., one minor and one major, a minimum of two octaves.
(2) Applicant must choose two contrasting pieces. Both pieces should not exceed ten minutes in total. *
Audition will be about 10 minutes in length including a conversation interview.
*Instrumentalists and singers are not required, but recommended to bring their own accompanists to the audition. There will be no on-site accompanist available at the school that day.
Audition result will be announced on January 27, 2020 via email.
The scholarship committee reserves all the rights in selecting recipients for the application.